MMXVI - My Year in Words

This time last year, I was feeling incredibly reflective about the year gone by. As I said in last year's version of this post, 2015 was both the best and worst year of my life. So I went on into 2016 with an overwhelming amount of strength and determination to make 2016 a much more balanced year and, as far as I'm concerned, I achieved that goal. And that really is a great thing.

Being an optimist, I would (almost) always choose to focus on and draw attention to the good in every situation. But being also a realist, I feel I cannot ignore all the disastrous things that have happened in the last 12 months. I think we can all agree that globally, 2016 has been a pretty awful year. And so, naturally, I was morally torn when the time came to write this post. I asked myself if I could really sit here and summarise what has happened in my outrageously privileged life whilst a despicably large proportion of the world faced a year of relentless suffering, much of which will continue into 2017. And I concluded that, despite my support of the notion that reflecting upon negatives is essential for the good of the world, I do not think I am suitably able to provide nor deliver a perspective powerful enough to do anything other than simply echo that which we already know. There is no point in simply stating all the awful things that have happened, for we would not learn anything from my doing so. I wouldn't usually support the common phrase 'stick to what you know', but in this scenario it is actually rather fitting. Thus, I have decided to summarise my year just as I did 12 months ago. Behold, my 2016:

In January my Stigma calendar turned green and I suddenly realised I had taken off. In February I started journaling. In March I slowly dismantled my barricade and felt more like myself than I had in a long time. In April I made time for what was, and still is, important to me. In May, stress dictated far too much of my life. In June I worked harder than I ever have before, right up to the perfect cadence that concluded the last five years of my life, which were definitely some of my happiest. In July I found the courage to stop ignoring and dismissing all my doubts and ended up liberating both myself, and the person I cared most for in the world, from that which we were too afraid to accept was no longer right, all in a pivotal moment of empowerment. In August I was stuck in 'okay'. In September, everything started to change. In October I got my life together. In November I took the time to refine what I wanted to do in the future. In December I enjoyed time with friends and family, attempting to refuel for whatever will come my way next. In 2016, I was happy. It was one of the best years I've ever had and I wouldn't change it for the world.